Are you returning to the academic environment after years or decades away? Are you a little intimidated by the changes and advances that have occurred in college libraries?
This course will help returning students review and/or catch up on the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the library, both the physical space and the library website; find and use the print, audiovisual, and electronic resources; and understand and use basic research skills. This course will also give students avenues to pursue for additional guidance and instruction.
This course is divided into two classes:
Class 1: The Research Process, Navigating Sterne Library’s Web Page, and Locating Books
In this class, students will learn how to:
- choose and focus topics for research
- locate general information about the Mervyn H. Sterne Library
- locate materials in SCOTTY, Sterne Library’s online public access catalog
Class 2: Finding Articles, Weaving through the Web Wisely, and Getting Additional Help
In this class, students will learn how to
- identify magazine, journal, and newspaper articles on a chosen topic by using indexes and databases
- find, evaluate, and use Internet resources
- locate information for help with research, citing, and the library
For the schedule of classes and to register, go to http://www.mhsl.uab.edu/refresher/.